Every country and union has their own legal requirements for imports and exports. If you are ordering from the United States, the courier may ask you for a Toxic Substance Control Act (TSCA) Certification form. As per the Government of the United States' Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), all imports of a chemical substance or mixture that is subject to the TSCA regulations must be reported to the EPA via additional paperwork processed by US Customs or the courier's brokerage department. The importer (the recipient) of the shipment must be the one to submit the TSCA form to their broker in order to clear customs.
The following products are subject to the TSCA regulations in the United States:
- Fountain pen ink,
- All pens, and
- Pen refills & cartridges.
You can download our recommended TSCA form here: download.
Here is a list of our suggested product naming conventions and HS Codes to help you complete the TSCA form:
|Product Group Name or Description||HS/HTSUS Code|
|Water-based Fountain Pen Ink||3215.90.00|
|Ballpoint Pen Refill Set||9608.60.00|
What is an HS Code or HTSUS Code?
Harmonized System (HS) Codes or Harmonized Tariff Schedule of US (HTSUS) Codes are international standard numerical classifications of traded products. They are used by customs authorities to identify and describe imported and exported products. All commercial invoices and TSCA forms require the HS Code to help customs authorities identify products.
How to complete the TSCA certification form:
- Complete all business and contact information fields.
- The importer company name is the receiver's company name.
- For the UPS TSCA form, the entry number is the same as the shipment number.
- Please select the first option of the check boxes "I certify that all chemicals in this shipment listed below or on attached sheet comply with all applicable rules or orders under TSCA, and I am not offering a chemical substance for entry in violation of TSCA or any applicable rules or order there under."
- Complete the product description and HS (or HTSUS) columns in the product table. Add only the products applicable to the order you are submitting the TSCA form for.
- Submit the TSCA form to the courier or your broker. If you purchased shipping with Ferris Wheel Press, the courier is the default broker for all orders. If your courier is UPS, you can submit the TSCA form to email@example.com, otherwise you can call the courier's customer service number and arrange for the TSCA form to be submitted to their brokerage department.
In rare cases, Customs may ask you for a copy of the material safety data sheet (MSDS) to clear your shipment. If you require the MSDS, please reach out to your Account Manager and they will be able to assist you.
If you require further assistance, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.